If you are looking for a place to take your group on a field trip, consider the Houston Public Library. The Central Library welcomes groups of children and teens to explore all that we have to offer. Please call ahead if you are planning to bring your group to visit the Central Library for available times and dates.
Here are some things you should know about field trips to the Central Library:
- To book a field trip for kindergarten through 5th grade, please call 832-393-1313 and ask for the Kids room.
- To book a field trip for 6th grade-12th grade, please call 832-393-1313 and ask for the Teen room.
- Our calendar fills up quickly, so please try to call several weeks in advance.
- We book field trips for Wednesday and Thursday mornings from 10 am until 12 pm during the school year.
- The Kids and Teen rooms have occupancy limits based on fire codes. The maximum number of students we can accomodate is 80.
- We request that you bring one chaperone for every 10 students. For example, for a group of 80, plan on bringing at least 8 chaperones.
- If you are coming via bus, here are directions to the designated Bus Zone.
- If your students need library cards, we encourage you to have students and their parents visit their neighborhood Houston Public Library prior to the field trip. If you wish to get library cards as a class, here are the required steps:
- Print library card applications from our website.
- The child's parent or legal guardian must fill out the application in blue or black ink only.
- Attach a photocopy of the parent or guardian's current government issued ID to the application. The address on the ID must be correct.
- If you want the library cards to be ready on the day of your field trip, applications must be brought to the Central Library at least a week in advance.
- Students who already have a library card with outstanding fines, will not be eligible for a new card until fines are paid in full.
If you would like to schedule a field trip to your neighborhood library, please check our locations page for contact information.
With advanced booking, the following options are available for field trips:
Browsing the Collection .....(recommended for kindergarten-5th grade)
Storytime...............................(recommended for kindergarten-2nd grade)
Book Care ........................... (recommended for kindergarten-1st grade)
Tour of Kids Space ............. (recommended for 2nd-4th grade)
Catalog Training ................. (recommended for 3rd-5th grade)
Tour of Entire Building .......(recommended for 3th-5th Grade)
Database Training .............. (recommended for 4th-5th Grade)
If you have specific requests not covered in the options above, please let us know when you book your field trip and we will do our best to accomodate you.